Pages

Friday, May 29, 2015

Day 24 and counting

Good morning everyone
We do not know exactly what is going on. This past Monday was Memorial Day. Al was kind enough to work on Irish Mist for half a day. The motor is getting put back together. Al left saying he would be back on Wednesday if all went well in the morning. If he did not come Wednesday he would be back and finish Saturday. Trish reminded him that Saturday things would be closed if he needed anything. Al said he had all the parts not to worry all would be completed Saturday and we would be ready for the insurance adjuster on Monday.

Al did not show up but did phone asking for the model of the transmission. I sent this information and waited. Yesterday morning I phoned Al who said he could do nothing due to the fact I had sent him the wrong model number. I said I would see what I could do.

First I opened the engine room and with a magnifying looked at the model number. It had worn a little and could have been a H, N, or M. I phoned Mastry in St Petersburg who told me that they only had the model ZF 30 no H, N, or M. I decided to call Bayshore in Annapolis who installed the engine 4 years ago. They had the records and told me they installed a ZF 30 M transmission. This is the model number I sent to Al.

I emailed Lori Al's office manager with this information asking her to call me, no one called. I then talked to Al who said I should call Mastry and straighten it out. I called and talked to Sue in the parts department. She said that Al had called concerning the parts and she assured him that the parts where available even the transmission hose. She asked him to call the Daytona Distributor. I asked if it would be OK if the distributor called her if he had any problems. She said yes that in fact he should already know he can do this.

I phoned Al and explained what my day's work had accomplished. I said that Sue had said the Daytona Distributor could get him all the parts. I said also that Sue had said she was well aware of the transmission model number ZF 30 M.

I then asked Al when he would like us to be ready for him by taking the bed apart. He said he needed to get the parts. Al continued saying " Bill believe it or not I am actually working on your boat more then any other." It is Friday, Monday Gene the insurance adjuster is coming, we are waiting for Al. Our confidence concerning his arrival is not high, we have not prepared the bed.

Well Al did not come. He did phone at 6:00 PM with the news that he was coming tomorrow, but would not have the hose.  The Yanmar dealer in Daytona sent the wrong order and nobody is willing to do anything about that until Monday. I suggested we put the old hoses on. This way we would know if the problem was with one of the hoses. Al said he did not know were the hoses were. This is strange because he had told me that he kept all the old hoses for Gene to look at.

Al also told me if he put the old hoses back on and they leaked he would then have to do the antifreeze all over again. In the middle of the night I woke up, as I do often, realizing that the leak was not antifreeze. The old hoses will be fine, if we can find them. If a water hose leaks we can just turn the raw water off and fix it. This way we would also find the leak.

Al is coming Saturday to do what he can, but this is really getting on out nerves. I hope he arrives with ALL the original hose and gets the boat moving this afternoon.

At 10:00 Al came and started work. The first thing he said was he was missing a part. It was decided relatively quickly that I should go and get it. The first place I went did not have it so I phoned Al and asked if he knew of anywhere else I might be able to go. He said not a clue, he knew of no one in St Augustine. I decided to go to First Mstes Engine Repair. I knew of them from various people I had talked to. When I got there I talked to Jimmy. He had a part that would due. When I told him the story about the hose he said I will have to talk to Al he normally gets his yanmar supplies from me. Just another mystery. I gave the phone to Jimmy and he and his good friend Al has a conversation. Remember Al knew of no one in St Sugustine who could help.

It is 3:00 now and we cannot start the engine. Now we are missing a rubber boot off the turbo. Al is hopping he can get one at his shop. The story continues, let me remind you that Al assured Trish on Monday the last day we saw him that he had ALL the parts.

The story has a happy ending. I am going to let you know in the next post


No comments:

Post a Comment