Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Solomans

After almost three weeks in the Annapolis area we are once again on our way to the South.

The list of our problems goes this way. First we had a slow leak. This showed us the bildge pump was not working. We could not find the leak but did get a new check valve at Rock Hall. It did not work. Then at the Seven Seas Gam our outboard would not start untill you pull it 10 times. Fortunately there was a talk at the Gam about outboards. I asked the question and was told I needed to get ride of the ethenal. We then had our forward head stop. This was fixed at Bert Jabins by Diversified at an enormous cost. While Peter was fixing our head by replacing all the pipes I biked to West Marine and Fawcetts where I got stuff for the outboard, which fixed the problem. I also got two new check valves. One of these worked. Great everything fixed.

No just wait a second as we arrived in Spa Creek our generator stopped. I deduced it was the impellor, so all I had to do was replace it. The opening for the impellor faces backwards, but was not impossible. The impellor which had been replaced by the club just a year ago had completely disintegrated. We had a replacement impellor, but had failed to get a replacement gasket. A trip to Bert Jabins and Bayview Marine solved that problem. So now everything was fixed and as soon as we went to the boat show we would be on our way south.

Not so quick, remember the leak well we found it. Just as my sisters, who had been visiting, headed off for South Bend are hot water tank gave out putting 140 gallons of water in the bildge and out courtesy of our fixed bildge pump. A call to Diversified and Monday we were on our way to Eastport Yachting Center. $150 for the dock and $1671 for Diversified and we had a new hot water tank and our troubles were over. 

Don't jump to a conclusion too quickly. Today we decided to put the sail up. I felt we could use the center board. It will not go down must be stuck some how. Most likely when they put the mast up. Oh well the center board only stops leeway and does not gives us any of our righting moment.

All is well with us in Mill Creek and The Solomon's .






1 comment:

  1. I bet you are glad to leave Annapolis! Hopefully that is the end of the breakdowns. Did you get my e-mail regarding Deltaville facilities and a great contact if need any assistance in the area?
    Regarding the centerboard, did you touch bottom anyplace since you last used the board? It can jam with sand and stones pretty easy. I once took a golf ball out! I carry an old rusty carpenter saw that I slide along the board inside the trunk to clean any stones out. If I see a diver cleaning a boat bottom they are usually willing to do it for a small fee depending on time. Paid $20 this past summer on vacation.
    I would doubt that the centerboard line is messed up internally, pretty hard to do if the line was properly installed with a stop knot inside the mast, but you never know. Bob

    ReplyDelete